We are committed to promoting excellence in Science by developing scientists with high aspirations who enjoy being challenged. All students will have the opportunity to develop their scientific knowledge through enquiry, investigations and discussions whilst developing their practical skills. They will be able to apply their scientific knowledge to the world around them. Every child should have a curiosity and passion for Science. We are dedicated to social justice and promoting women as scientists.
KS3 Science at Plumstead Manor enables our students to become compassionate, responsible and inquisitive scientists by developing an in depth understanding of science, their practical and research skills. Students are placed in sets from Year 7 where they cover the National Curriculum Programme of Study that covers the three sciences, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. This breadth of knowledge is further built-up through Years 8 and 9 with new information added each term building an understanding of complex scientific concepts in preparation for KS4. Topics covered include Energy and Sound, Getting the Energy your Body Needs and Motion on Earth and Space. In order to develop engagement in Science we offer a host of extra-curricular activities and trips aimed at helping our girls engage with Science and break the mould with STEM subjects.
At KS4 we offer students AQA Core and Additional Science or AQA Triple Science.
- Core Science – this is taught in Year 10 and comprises of a biology unit, a chemistry unit, a physics unit and controlled assessment. Each component is worth 25% of the final GCSE grade. Public exams are taken at the end of Year 11.
- Additional Science – this is taught in Year 11 and also consists of a biology unit, a chemistry unit, a physics unit and a controlled assessment. Each component is worth 25% of the final GCSE grade. Public exams are taken at the end of Year 11.
- Triple Science – this is taught in Year 10 and Year 11. There are three Biology units, three Chemistry units and three Physics units. A controlled assessment is completed for Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Public exams are taken at the end of Year 11.
From September 2016 we will be offering the new Double Science GCSE and Triple Science. GCSEs. These specifications are currently in draft form, the website will be updated once these are finalised by the exam boards and Ofqual.
We offer all three sciences at A Level and BTEC L3 Diploma in Applied Science.
- AS/A level Biology (OCR A)
- AS/A level Chemistry (OCR B)
- AS/A level Physics (OCR A)
- EDEXCEL BTEC L3 Diploma in Applied Science
Student progression in Science
Our students go on to follow a wide variety of careers and further study in science including those who attend Russell Group Universities. Investigative work forms an integral part of the learning process in all courses and their is focus on independent learning in KS5 in order to prepare students for university or the world of work.